Tragic Death Moves Broward Commissioner To Ban Addictive Drug

Mr.Marshmallow

One South Florida mother watched her son’s life spiral out of control after becoming addicted to kratom.

Linda Mautner said her son Ian Mautner was a happy successful 17-year old when he started taking kratom at a kava bar with friends.

While his friends didn’t like it, she said her son began going back for more and more.

“He never had any money and he worked,” she told CBS4’s Joan Murray.

Linda Mautner said her son started spending $165 dollars a day on kratom packets, which she said he “downed like Kool-Aid chased with water.”

Linda Mautner, a surgical nurse, said she noticed behavioral changes in her son.

“He became argumentative; his eyes would roll back in his head. He was delusional at times. He was not the same person,” she recalled.

Ian Mautner was in and out of rehab for nearly two and a half years before he plunged to his death on I-95.

“They found in his car six empty packets (of kratom) and two full ones,” said Linda Mautner.

After hearing the tragic story, Broward Commissioner Kristin Jacobs moved to ban kratom in his county.

“As a mother and grandmother, it bothers me someone is profiting off our children,” Jacobs said.

Jacobs said she did an online search for locations in Fort Lauderdale where Kratom could be bought and was absolutely appalled when she saw pages upon pages of listings.

“I was stunned to see how available it is,” Jacobs said.

Linda Mautner said she was glad to see Broward County taking action to ban kratom.

“This is how we protect our kids, our future generations. It’s becoming an epidemic,” she said.Tragic Death Moves Broward Commissioner To Ban Addictive Drug

BROWARD (CBSMiami) – Broward County has taken the first steps towards banning the herbal drug called kratom.

Found in head shops and at kava bars, the designer drug comes from a tree in Southeast Asia and produces both a stimulant and sedative effect. Some say it can become addictive as heroin.

source: http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/10/08/tragic-death-moves-broward-commissioner-to-ban-addictive-drug/

One South Florida mother watched her son’s life spiral out of control after becoming addicted to kratom.

Linda Mautner said her son Ian Mautner was a happy successful 17-year old when he started taking kratom at a kava bar with friends.

While his friends didn’t like it, she said her son began going back for more and more.

“He never had any money and he worked,” she told CBS4’s Joan Murray.

Linda Mautner said her son started spending $165 dollars a day on kratom packets, which she said he “downed like Kool-Aid chased with water.”

Linda Mautner, a surgical nurse, said she noticed behavioral changes in her son.

“He became argumentative; his eyes would roll back in his head. He was delusional at times. He was not the same person,” she recalled.

Ian Mautner was in and out of rehab for nearly two and a half years before he plunged to his death on I-95.

“They found in his car six empty packets (of kratom) and two full ones,” said Linda Mautner.

After hearing the tragic story, Broward Commissioner Kristin Jacobs moved to ban kratom in his county.

“As a mother and grandmother, it bothers me someone is profiting off our children,” Jacobs said.

Jacobs said she did an online search for locations in Fort Lauderdale where Kratom could be bought and was absolutely appalled when she saw pages upon pages of listings.

“I was stunned to see how available it is,” Jacobs said.

Linda Mautner said she was glad to see Broward County taking action to ban kratom.

“This is how we protect our kids, our future generations. It’s becoming an epidemic,” she said.Tragic Death Moves Broward Commissioner To Ban Addictive Drug

BROWARD (CBSMiami) – Broward County has taken the first steps towards banning the herbal drug called kratom.

Found in head shops and at kava bars, the designer drug comes from a tree in Southeast Asia and produces both a stimulant and sedative effect. Some say it can become addictive as heroin.

source: http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/10/08/tragic-death-moves-broward-commissioner-to-ban-addictive-drug/

Other than the BLD cite, are there any other sources for Sarasota placing a ban?

Thanks in advance!

Other than the BLD cite, are there any other sources for Sarasota placing a ban?

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

I have looked for the most recent article regarding Sarasota, and this Is what I found on short notice,

I will dig for more information, I will let you know when I found some .

This is a part from an article, I will put a link below so you can check out the whole article yourself.

‘’The ban on the sale or distribution of kratom was proposed by Commissioner Kristin Jacobs, who said it mimics illegal drugs when consumed.

But one by one, her colleagues said more research is needed. Commissioner Stacy Ritter said perhaps the pharmaceutical industry is teaming up with doctors to keep it off the shelves because it competes with prescription drugs.

The Broward medical examiner, Dr. Craig Mallak, said he knows of only one possible kratom-related death in America, a man in Denver.

One other Florida county, Sarasota, regulates the distribution of kratom, but other locales, including Palm Beach County, considered it and put the vote on hold so more study could be done. That's what Broward commissioners did Tuesday, promising to revisit the vote in coming months.’’

Source: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-kratom-ban-broward-20141028-story.html

If I can help out some more feel free to ask

Greetz

M

Back